Though it's already over, I wanted to give kudos to the organizers of the 2010 Images Festival for another fantastic year of programming, both on and off screen. Because I thought I'd be leaving for London just as the festival ended (see above reference to ancestral volcano - I'm half Icelandic), I didn't take on any blogging or organizing tasks and had the chance to experience the whole event as a spectator for the first time in a long while.
Press image for Shary Boyle and Christine Fellows' collaborative performance,The Monkey and the Mermaid, 2010, from: www.imagesfestival.com
Poster for Daniel Barrow's solo show "Emotional Feelings" at the Art Gallery of York Universityfrom: www.theagyuisoutthere.org
If you're in the mood for quieter, more relaxing fare, Daniel Barrow's "Emotional Feelings" exhibition at the AGYU offers some beautiful, interactive overhead projector and video installations which can be manipulated and altered by viewers. Though I think Barrow is at his best when his own voice or narrative accompany the work, his tableaux are still gorgeous in the gallery setting. The artist's "Read & Listen" limited edition book, NO ONE HELPED ME, also launched this month. (Someone should give Barrow a prize for best titles for shows and books).
And, finally, you have until this Saturday to catch Tacita Dean's epic, beautiful 16 mm anamorphic film Craneway Event at Gallery TPW. Another dance-focused project, Dean's film follows Merce Cunningham's dance company during three days of rehearsals for a site-specific performance in a light-drenched old Ford Motors factory on the San Francisco Bay. As I wrote in my review for Canadian Art, it is well worth the 108 minute running time to witness the rehearsals play out in full and to see the serendipitous moments of human and mechanical choreography that take place across Dean's lens. Daily screenings happen at 12:30 and 3 pm with an extra screening on Thursday nights at 7 pm.

No comments:
Post a Comment